Flex Spending Accounts

What is MoneyPlu$?

  • MoneyPlu$ offers tax-favored accounts — IRS-approved/qualified expenses eligible under your insurance plan for you or your IRS eligible dependents, tax-free benefits.
  • WageWorks is the third-party administrator of the program.
  • Funds are deducted from your pre-taxed salary for eligible expenses for medical and dependent care costs.
  • Each account has an administrative charge, which is designed to be minimal compared to your tax savings.
  • Enrollment within 30 days of hire or re-enroll every year during the open enrollment period to continue your account for the following calendar year.
  • The myFBMC Card, a debit card, is issued at no charge to individuals who enrolled in the Medical Expense Account or Limited-use accounts.
  • IRS contribution limits can be located on SC PEBA MoneyPlus.

Pre-Tax Premiums

  • The Pretax Group Insurance Premium Feature ($.28 per month administrative fee) allows you to pay your premiums for the State Health, Tobacco-User premium, TRICARE Supplement Plan, Dental, Dental Plus, Vision and Optional Life (for coverage up to $50,000) plans before taxes are taken from your paycheck.

Flexible Spending Accounts

  • MoneyPlu$ allows you to pay eligible medical/dependent care expenses with pre-taxed dollars. 
  • You authorize deposits to your MoneyPlu$ account every pay period.
  • You request tax-free withdrawals from your account to reimburse yourself.
  • Submit documentation to withdraw the yearly amount that you elected to contribute to your Medical Spending Account (MSA) or Dependent Care Spending Account (DCSA).  The IRS will not allow any money left in your MSA or DCSA at the end of the year to be returned to you.  Please refer to the PEBA Insurance Benefits Guide for further information.
  • There are three kinds of Flexible Spending Accounts:
    • Dependent Care Spending Account (DSCA)
      Medical Spending Account (MSA)
      Limited-use Medical Spending Account (this account accompanies a Health Savings Account (HSA), which is only available to subscribers enrolled in the Savings Health Plan.) 

      If you incur dependent care and medical expenses, you can
       establish both a Dependent Care Spending Account and a Medical Spending Account (or a limited-use Medical Spending Account if you contribute to an HSA).

Health Savings Account (HSA)

  • A MoneyPlu$ Health Savings Account (HSA) is available to employees enrolled in the State Health Savings Plan and can be used to pay healthcare expenses.
  • Unlike money in a MoneyPlu$ Medical Spending Account, the funds do not have to be spent in the year they are deposited.
  • Money in the account accumulates tax free; the funds can be used to pay qualified medical expenses in the future.
  • An important advantage of an HSA is that you own it. If you leave Beaufort County School District, you can take the account with you and continue to use it for qualified medical expenses.

Please refer to the Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA) Insurance Benefits website for further information about the MoneyPlus (Flexible Spending) accounts.

WageWorks - MoneyPlus Inquires
Mailing Address: P. O. Box 14766, Lexington, KY, 40512-4766
Customer Care Center: 800-342-8017
Automated Information: 800-865-3262
Claims FAX: 888-800-5217